Wednesday, January 11, 2012


My character machine breaks in IE! Dang z-index inheritance issues!

-will fix later today.


Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Character Machine!

This week I put the New Face project* from last week together with some components of The Fiction Machine. The result takes advantage of the user to sort male-from-female-from-sexually-ambiguous faces, adds a name from the 2010 list of 1000 most popular American baby names, and a character trope from and when you're done throws in a setting and a few plot devices for good measure.

You can go see the project for yourself here.

*the first round of New Face faces were kind of... disturbing, so I re-drew most of their components, and added more.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Weekly Project: New Face!

It does pretty much what you expect it to: composes and displays a new face every time you hit the button/reload the page.

I used gimp to draw all the component images (no easy feat just using the touch pad on my laptop) and put them together with a little javascript.

Next week I'll hook this up to the fiction machine's Darwin function (a genetic algorithm that I wrote to learn my daughter's narrative preferences), so the thing can learn what kinds of faces the user likes.